>the discussions, the two biggest issues were the "governance"
>difficulties (adding DNAME records in the root...)

Nobody's mentioned the governaance issues, but speaking as someone who
spends too much time hanging around ICANN, that will be a huge can of
worms.

If we tell them that DNAMEs are OK for one purpose, I can guarantee
that the domain crowd will demand DNAMEs for other purposes, in
particular to alias TLDs.  There's already a ccTLD that consists of
nothing but a DNAME, and now that the IETF has blessed top level
DNAMEs, they must be fine for ICANN TLDs, too.

Please, let us not go anywhere near there and abandon this unwise
proposal.

R's,
John