Ed,

----- Original Message -----

I think think this is a technical detail best left to the software vendors
and it should be removed from the draft.

As a side note, having a (platform-sized) pointer for each RR in the RR-cache
is a huge bloat...

> I understand why now we don't want one set to clobber the other, that being
> "because of abuse."  Back in the day I was taught that the parent was
> authoritative for the left hand side of the NS set (the owner name) and the
> child was authoritative for the right hand side (the RDATA holding the name
> server).  That is why DNSSEC signs the child but not the parent NS copy set.

If we were to design RFC1034/1035 again I would say that NS records are more
close to DS.

> What is gained beyond suggesting resolvers reduce the child NS TTL to that of
> the parent TTL (if the child TTL is longer)?

The predictability of resolver behavior.  As I said in one of my previous