> On Feb 4, 2017, at 4:46 AM, Ray Bellis <r...@bellis.me.uk> wrote:
>

> On 04/02/2017 02:13, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> Right, that's always been the problem with using this _for the DNS_.
>> Homenet has no choice in that, because the whole point of the homenet
>> name is precisely to enable in-homenet DNS without reference to the
>> global DNS.  I think you're quite correct that we need to decide
>> whether alt is to be used for those purposes.  I'm not convinced
>> that's so useful.
>
> If it turns out that we can't get the insecure delegation that we need
> for .homenet, then I'd (personally) be reasonably happy with
> .homenet.alt, except that the current proposals for the use of .alt
> wouldn't seem to permit that.

The other question to keep in mind, perhaps particularly for HOMENET, is how
long are you/we willing to wait?

The IETF has no process for requesting a change to the root zone (it’s not one
of the protocol parameter registries under the change control of the IETF) and
ICANN has no process for evaluating such a request..

Generallly when iCANN is asked to do something for which they have no process,
their answer is Yes; No; or “We have to think about that,” and it often takes
years, particularly in the last case.

(no hats, just lots of experience.)

Suzanne