On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 09:11:54PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> I don't see how you can detect loops without DNS protocol changes.  The
> query that comes back will look like a completely fresh query.

We can put a limit on the number of hops that are followed in populating
the A and AAAA records for the expanded ANAME response.  If that limit is
exceeded, the ANAME record could be rejected by the auth; either the zone
wouldn't load or address queries return SERVFAIL.

BIND already has a limit of 16 hops for CNAME loop prevention. I assume
other resolver implementations must do something similar.

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.