On 08/01/2017 03:48 AM, Mike West wrote:
> The only open issue I know of is some discussion in the thread at
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg18690.html that I
> need help synthesizing into the draft. I don't know enough about the
> subtleties here to have a strong opinion, and I'm happy to accept the
> consensus of the group.

Reading back through this thread, it seems like the concerns were about
how to represent the  ".localhost" TLD in the root zone, or how to use
DNSSEC to express that the root zone will not speak for ".localhost".
However, I think we don't need either. This draft attempts to codify the
idea that queries for "localhost" or "foo.localhost" should never leave
the local system, and so it doesn't matter what the root zone says about
".localhost".

I would even take it a step further: It would be a mistake to add any
records for ".localhost" to the root zone, because it would mask
implementation errors. If a local resolver accidentally allows a query
for "foo.localhost" to hit the wire, it should result in an error.

IMHO, the document is good as it stands.