I have a question related to RFC2317 "Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation."

Earlier this year, I switched from a class C bank of 256 addresses to a reduced set of 32 ips (/27). To get PTR queries to work, RFC2317 was referred by my ISP to prepare the delegation.

Having implemented RFC2317, I noticed with PTR lookups directly against my own DNS server, it returns the proper host names, no cnames. When the query is done against other DNS servers, it returns the CNAME which points to the expected host name(s). This I understand is the expected RFC2317 method setup by the ISP.

Not expecting this in my DNS resolver code, I modified the resolver to take the CNAMEs into account and return the host names instead. Was this the correct thing to do, thus providing the same results regardless of the query location?

Reading RFC2317, section 5.1 and section 5.3, it sounds what I did was ok.'

I have various PTR lookup scripts that did not expect the CNAME in the PTR query as RFC2317 indicates may happen, thus possibly failing a PTR requirement, i.e. SMTP receiver connection, etc.

Before I release my updates, I wonder if this was the right thing to do.

Thanks

--
HLS