On 18 Dec 2017, at 14:11, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>> IN-BAILIWICK

>> Also, on behalf on non-native speakers, a short explanation of the
>> origin of the term would perhaps be nice.
>
> I like the Wiktionary (and it can be copied freely into a RFC):

I like this suggestion.

As a native speaker of English (admittedly conditioned by the period
in which I acquired the language, by those who gave me instruction,
and by the literature to which I've been exposed), I'm wondering
whether it wouldn't be better to have "Bailiwick" as the head-word
in this repertoire of terminology, rather than having separate
entries for "In-Bailiwick" and "Out-of-Bailiwick".

In the English I learned, a hyphenated adjective such as "in-bailiwick"
can be used only as an attributive adjective (before the noun), and not
as a predicate or complement (after the verb).

Just as a five-year-old child is five years old (and neither five-years
old nor five years-old), so an in-bailiwick name is within the relevant
bailiwick, or is inside this bailiwick, or belongs to the bailiwick.
For me, all of these alternative expressions, none of which uses a
hyphen, are implicitly valid elements of the terminology in consequence
of including "In-Bailiwick".

I feel that having entries for "In-Bailiwick" and "Out-of-Bailiwick"
is unnecessarily prescriptive, and that a single entry for "Bailiwick"
would give sufficient clarity without unduly constraining the style of
future authors.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year, and apologies for being
late for Hannukah.

Niall O'Reilly