Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:
> Tony Finch wrote:
> >
> > if you are asking an authoritative-only server then you get REFUSED or
> > not depending on whether the QNAME is in an authoritative zone.
>
> that's what this group has reached consensus on in recent months, yes. to me
> that's a servfail condition, because the initiator may have better knowledge
> than the server operator.

I take SERVFAIL from an auth-only server to mean "I know about that zone
but it is broken right now" (e.g. expired). I think this is a useful
three-way distinction.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Malin, Hebrides: North 7 to severe gale 9, decreasing 5 or 6, then backing