Hey all,

I’m working on a document in the ACME WG that concerns methods for validating
control of IP addresses (draft-ietf-acme-ip) and wanted to see if anyone here
could provide some input on a question I had regarding usage of the ip6.arpa
and in-addr.arpa zones.

In the original incarnation of this document one outlined method revolved
around requesting that a user place a TXT record containing a random token in
the relevant ip6.arpa or in-addr.arpa child zone for the address being
validated and then verifying that this record was present. After reading RFC
3172 there was some concern that this would not be a ‘blessed’ usage of the
zones and that they should only contain records that related to mapping
protocol addresses to service names. Because of this we reworked the method to
require placing the TXT record at the target of a PTR record in the relevant
zone instead.

After a number of discussions I’m interested in returning to the original
concept as it simplifies a number of use cases that this document is intended
to support but am still not sure whether or not this would be widely considered
‘ok’ by DNS folks. Obviously it’s entirely possible to do this as these child
zones are delegated to users and they _can_ put whatever they want in them.
Does this WG have strong opinions on whether we should/shouldn’t do this for
technical reasons or we just being a bit too strict in our reading of 3172?

Thanks for the advice!
Roland