Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:

> i suggest that bind, unbound, powerdns, and so on change their packaging to
> put the trust anchor in a different upgradeable package (.deb, .rpm, etc)
> than the software itself. until and unless the package manager is secured by
> DANE rather than by ssh/pgp/x509/etc, then the solution for being on the
> shelf for several months is, do a software update before you try to go
> online.

I think that's a good suggestion for the short term. For the longer
term I would like it to be possible to say that DANE is a reasonable
way to authenticate software updates, but at the moment it is not.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Viking, North Utsire, South Utsire: Variable, mainly northerly 3 or 4,