On 4 May 2018, at 05:59, Shane Kerr <sh...@time-travellers.org> wrote:

> I think that there may be something useful in creating a term when a
> delegation only points to lame servers, thus cannot be resolved at all.
> Perhaps "broken delegation"?

One thing that I think has been missing from much of this conversation (but not
all) is the idea that the vantage point matters when determining if a server is
lame for a particular zone [1].

Just because from my vantage point I can't get responses from any of the
nameservers cited in a referral response doesn't mean that my experience is
universal. Some of the servers might be reachable in other routing domains;
some servers might be blocking my queries due to some transient network problem
that affects just a subset of its potential clients, or because addresses near
me have been participating in an attack, etc, etc.

I am wary of any description that implies that there is some simple measure of
lameness that is universal.

Joe

[1] the grammar also seems to vary between opinions. Is a server lame for a
domain? Or for a particular query? What do we mean by server, in the case where
a single instance of nameserver software running in a single compute
environment responds to multiple addresses, e.g. is dual-stacked?