On 5/12/2018 1:01 PM, John R Levine wrote:
The best I can guess is that there is an underlying assumption that normative language only applies to formally published specifications, but there's nothing in the current draft language to support that.

No, it's that standards are about interoperating with people you don't know.  That was the point of the two-implementation rule.  This particular situation is unusually squishy because we have a list of protocol names and a list of enumservice types that aren't in the registry but in practice it'd work fine if someone used one of them because none of the names currently conflict.

Avoiding naming collisions is a form of interoperating. Perhaps unfortunately, we have extensive experience that failing to coordinate across independent efforts -- ie, failing to have a common registry -- does not cause immediate failure.

My current thought is that the draft's language should direct a MUST for 'published' specifications. This would implicitly leave private, developmental efforts free to experiment without registration.

Note that SHOULD really is the same as MUST, except it allows for a 'unless you really know what you are doing'.  That, it seems to me, is exactly right, for this issue.

Except that in reality people violate MUST all the time, often for good reasons.  This is why I don't understand the difference any more.

Oh? They do? And it isn't because the MUST should have been a SHOULD? And it isn't because those good reasons aren't really all that good? And it isn't because...

You offer your summary assessment without any detail, but apparently intend it to negate the clearly-defined semantic distinction and usage intent behind the two normative choices.

It's entirely possible that some specification writers or working groups have been sloppy. And there are are other possibilities. None of which justify ignoring the meaning and purpose of the normative choices.

I suggest, instead, that the working group should consider what the force and import of a MUST would be, versus the force and import of a SHOULD, and that it do that on the assumption that the terms mean what they are defined to mean and should be used as they are intended to be used.

 In section 1 you might want to add a sentence or two pointing out that
 every rrtype has its own _name namespace, something that took a lot of
 us quite a while to figure out.

I'll urge not doing that.  Yes, it's a mathematical truth, but it's one that I believe some/many other folk will find confusing in practical terms.  (I know I certainly did...)

Then it should be more than a sentence or two, long enough to explain it. It needs to be clear people who might register future names that if _foo on SRV and _foo on TXT mean different things, that's not a problem.

OK, but absent your suggesting specific text, I don't know what will satisfy.

 For URIs, I'd add all of the existing enumservice type names to the
 draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf initial name list in section 3.1, and in

I'll guess that you mean the existing entries in the 'type' column of:

  https://www.iana.org/assignments/enum-services/enum-services.xhtml

which appears to be:

   acct
   email ...

which seems quite a lot of pre-loading, for an RR that has almost no use, so far.  I would instead suggest pre-loading only those 'type' values we know to be already in use and press for additional entries when they will get used.

This is what we've done for Proto, so why not the same approach for enumservice?

I suppose that's OK.  Do we have any idea of what the handful of URIs in the wild actually use?

I don't.

Does anybody in the working group know the details of current URI RRset usage?

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking