On Jul 10, 2018, at 16:09, Adam Roach <a...@nostrum.com> wrote:

> [as an individual]
>
>> On 7/10/18 9:59 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> It seems more like an extension of the Public Suffix. Which domains can
>> make claims about other domains.
>
> Based on the conversation that took place in DoH in Singapore, I think it's
> mostly *not* about this. The questions that have come up so far include: (a)
> If the record that is pushed to me is DNSSEC signed, is that sufficient to
> trust it? (b) If the record that is pushed to me is not DNS signed, but I'm
> using it in a context that requires TLS (e.g., HTTPS), and the thing that I
> connect to when I use the record can present a cert that proves its identity,
> is that okay?

I think perhaps the people who have been having these conversations are not
being ambitious enough.

The pressures in the enterprise DNS market are overwhelmingly driven by the
need to make web apps more reliable, load faster, and offer user-specific
content. There are other reasons to want DNS tricks, but the customers that pay
the big money are all concerned with HTTPS UX. Some of the decision points are
in the DNS and some are in HTTP. The DNS is overwhelmingly involved at UX
session initiation, but after that the HTTP layer has (can have) a far richer
set of data about the user and is able to separate user-blocking
decision-making from the flow of the UX which also affords extra time to make
decisions without the user becoming frustrated.

[To illustrate the architectural lunacy of the status quo, consider the data
sets that are gathered through real-user-monitoring in browsers, served at the
HTTP layer, that are subsequently used to steer DNS traffic used to retrieve
resources back at the HTTP layer. There's a whole layer of derived datasets
relating to the DNS there that are being generated by the web and used by the
web, but with a tangy sandwich filler of DNS that is just overhead.]

It seems like it would be nice then, after the UX-blocking elements are loaded
and the user is already engaged, for subsequent lookups to be driven in HTTP
and client-side scripting and to be presented to the stack as bare addresses
rather than DNS names. That avoids the dependency on the DNS after initial page
load altogether and leaves all the performance engineering decisions in the
same place as the content decisions.

There are problems with this approach today (certificate matching, for example)
but I don't think the problems necessarily relate to the DNS. Perhaps they
relate to a local-context naming system that doesn't exist outside a javascript
sandbox. I see the attraction of shifting name resolution to DOH since it makes
it look like everything is a web app, but collapsing the address selection back
to the extent that you can avoid name resolution at all seems like a better end
goal.

So rather than resolverless operation, think about resolutionless or nameless,
eliminating the DNS as unnecessary overhead.

Perhaps I have misunderstood the whole problem space, of course :-)

Joe