Dear colleagues,

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 12:29:30AM -0400, StJohns, Michael wrote:
> Actually, 5.2 suggests that a master  file (not zone) should contain a
> single class and single SOA record.  That’s not the same thing as limiting
> a zone to a single class AFAICT.

I believe it is the same thing, because classes divide the database
which means that they are a division point among zones.

I will note that I attempted a little while ago to explore this space
more completely, but nobody liked my idea of effectively closing the
class registry.  See
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sullivan-dns-class-useless-03.  If
someone wanted to pick up that document, I wouldn't discourage them
(but I don't think I have time any more to work on it).

I agree with Paul Vixie that classes were never defined well enough to
be made to work properly, at least at Internet scale.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com