On Wed., 26 Sep. 2018, 16:10 Ole Troan, <otr...@employees.org> wrote:

> Davey,
>
> If we’re discussing host based versus network based happy eyeballs, would
> it be naive to think that the network based HE would interfere with the
> client’s HE?
>
> A router knows very little about end to end properties of a connection. It
> could of course do those measurements by looking deeply into packets, but
> it would still be restricted to it’s own topological location. Compare that
> with the data available to an MP-TCP host stack.
>
> And note I think HE can’t just be between v4 and v6, but between all the
> candidate connections between source and destination.

Yes, multipathing (+ encryption) has a lot of impacts on what is possible
to do and commonly done on the network today. A lot of those activities
would have to be shifted to the host.

Start at slide 63 -

http://www.users.on.net/~markachy/The_Rapid_Rise_of_the_MMHH.pdf

I can't seem to find it now, however I think Fred Baker wrote a draft a
number of years ago that observed that multi-addressing on a single
interface is also a form of multi-homing, meaning that it isn't a
requirement for a "multi-homed" host to have multiple interfaces attached
to multiple and different networks. That means most IPv4 hosts, and all
IPv6 hosts, by design, are potential multi-homed hosts.

Regards,
Mark.