On 26 Sep 2018, at 12:07, Warren Kumari wrote:

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM Benjamin Kaduk <ka...@mit.edu> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 10:12:08AM -0700, Warren Kumari wrote:
On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM Benjamin Kaduk <ka...@mit.edu> wrote:

draft-ietf-dnsop-kskroll-sentinel-15: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-kskroll-sentinel/

DISCUSS:

Thanks for preparing this document and mechanism; it is good to have
more
data about the expected impact of the root KSK roll.  That said, I
have two
Discuss-worthy points, albeit both fairly minor.

The first one may just be something that I missed, but does this
document
actually say anywhere that there needs to be a real zone with real
configured A and/or AAAA records for the query names used for these
tests?
The Appendix sort-of-mentions it, but I feel like there needs to be a
mention in the main body text.

No hats (OMG, everyone will see I'm going bald...)

Ok, fair. This was actually a source of confusion when we first started discussing the document -- we explained it on-list / at mics / in person, but it became so well understood that we didn't notice that it is not
actually specified in the document. I'll try figure out text.

Thanks.

It eventually became pretty clear to me from things like "return the A or AAAA response unchanged" that there was supposed to be a valid response provisioned so that it could be returned, but I don't want to rely on all
readers making the same inference.

So I opened my editor to add text, and scrolled down to try figure out
where to add this.
"Section 4.3 - Test Procedure" seemed like a good spot -- and it already
has this text:

A query name containing the left-most label
"root-key-sentinel-not-ta-<key-tag-of-KSK-current>". This name MUST be a validly-signed. ***Any validly-signed DNS zone can be used for this test.***
A query name containing the left-most label
"root-key-sentinel-is-ta-<key-tag-of-KSK-new>". This name MUST be a
validly-signed. ***Any validly-signed DNS zone can be used for this test.***

(emphasis mine).

Does this perhaps address your concerns?

It should not: Section 2.1 specifically says that the query must be for A or AAAA.

--Paul Hoffman