In article <alpine.deb.2.20.1810301532280.24...@grey.csi.cam.ac.uk>,
Tony Finch  <d...@dotat.at> wrote:
>Are there any examples of that other than SMTP?

Not that I know of, and these days few mail systems do so.

The C in CNAME tells us what its intended application was, but as
we've seen from time to time, here on the Internet what you expect and
what you get are not necessarily the same.

R's,
John

PS: In fairness, I'm not surprised that in 1987 nobody expected
something like the web that would become so popular that there
wouldn't be enough IP addresses to give each site its own IP.  I don't
know whether the other use, to cross admin boundaries, would have been
predictable then.
--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",