> On 31 Oct 2018, at 11:16 am, Jim Reid <j...@rfc1035.com> wrote:
>
> On 30 Oct 2018, at 22:31, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ultra frequent key rolls are not necessary.  It takes years the latest
>> releases of name servers to make it into shipping OS’s.
>
> So what? Key rollover policies cannot and should not be driven by vendor OS
> release schedules. Or the BIND/whatever version they choose to distribute. If
> key rollovers became dependent on these considerations, we’d never be able to
> roll the root’s KSK.
>
> Software that had hard-wired the old key caused trouble for the recent
> rollover so we simply have to be in a much better place next time. I hope you
> don't want to perpetuate that legacy behaviour, albeit in a slightly
> different form.
>
> If the (hypothetical) problem is DNS software gets shipped with the current
> KSK on the release date and that might lurk in vendor distributions long
> after the KSK has rolled, the solution is obvious. Don’t do that.

Bootstrap is still a issue.  Over fast TA rolling makes it more of a issue.

I think we would replace RFC 5011 with something else before we roll the root
key next while using RFC 5011 timings for the roll for legacy implementations.
We really need a way to signal how long a TA is expected to be valid for.  This
allows machines to safely fail to insecure if they have been off for too long.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: ma...@isc.org