If there's no delegation from the root, and it can be validated that there
is no delegation from the root, then the attack surface that this draft
provides is that your corporate private DNSSEC on foo.corp can be
overridden by the VPN.   So as you say, Tony, even in this case, the right
way to do this is not to allow the VPN to provide the trust anchor in-band.