Bonjour uses DNS or mDNS. If it’s using DNS, it can in principle use DoT or
DoH, and indeed “Back to my Mac” was using DoT before it was specified in
an RFC. That functionality is still in the open source mDNSResponder code.

I realize that this is somewhat tangential to the point you were making but
wanted to clarify this detail.