> On 3 Jul 2019, at 2:16 pm, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
>> Defeating fragmentation attacks requires more than a BCP.
>>
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-andrews-dnsop-defeat-frag-attack-00
>
> Sure, so you have an RFC already then. great. No need for a flag day
> event reference, as you will have a proper RFC reference.

>>> No one is saying you are not sensible. My point was that none of this
>>> is a flag day, and the promotion to reach a few implementations via
>>> "flag days" is better directed at writing a new or updated RFC that
>>> explains the issue and recommends implementors what (not) to do. That
>>> also helps downstream with customers wanting RFC ABC compliance, which
>>> is a much stronger signal than compliance to "dnsflagday.net/2020”.
>>
>> Winding back the default EDNS buffer size will break interoperability
>> with servers that now send TC=1 responses that otherwise didn’t happen
>> and do not accept TCP.
>>
>> The key point of a flag day is that it is the day after which
>> interoperability fails, not the rate at which it is deploy which
>> you appear to be concentrating on.
>
> But again,
>
> We turn off old things on the internet all the time. It breaks
> ancient stuff all the time too. We try to steer that process from the
> IETF by gradually obsoleting/replacing code. But we don't do that in a
> vaccum. We observe deployment statistics and try to push a little harder
> to move the market when it is being slow.

Observed misbehaviours over time
https://ednscomp.isc.org/compliance/summary.html
You can drill down to specific failure modes.

> And it is not a "flag day" because it depends on downstream release schedules

Actually it is.  Nothing about “flag day” requires everything to be
instantaneous.

>> The DNS 2019 not only had ON THE DAY changes (thanks to Google changing
>> their 8.8.8.8 service on the day)
>
> So even pumping up the hype didn't actually help inform the people that
> needed it the most. To me that is more an argument that flagdaying does
> not do much good to begin with, and it is not woth the bad things it does
> to the reputation of DNS by making the DNS appear worse than it is.

Actually we reached lots of people that needed to be reached.

Did we reach everybody? No but no one expected to reach everybody.

Did we measurably improve the situation? Yes.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: ma...@isc.org