This is something that has bugged me for a long time, and I'd love to see a
good solution to.

If a record is requested from an authoritative server, where the zone exists,
but the records does not exist, the negative response is cached for <minimum>
period of time.

If a record is requested from an authoritative server, where the zone does not
exist, generally the response is REFUSED, but *this is not cached* by the
requesting server. This results in a nearly continuous stream of retries, which
continue to result in the same response. Our authoritative servers see no less
than 15%, and sometimes as much as 25% of our worldwide traffic as these
non-authoritative responses.

There needs to be a means to signal to a recursive server that it should not
requery a REFUSED response for a specified period of time. Given that these
record?

Michael Sheldon
Dev-DNS Services
GoDaddy.com