Wes Hardaker <wjh...@hardakers.net> wrote:

> 2) One outstanding topic of discussion that I think we need to decide to
> handle or table till a future document: how do we handle forwarding,
> chained resolvers, and caching.

Difficult. In general there will be multiple upstream servers, even in
the simplest case of a stub talking to a recursive server talking directly
to authoritative servers. So there can be an arbitrary combination of
upstream errors, and they might not relate directly to the QNAME, (e.g.
problems with a parent zone, problems chasing down nameserver addresses).

Perhaps if the upstream problems are consistent with each other, the
resolver can return a single extended error code to its client; otherwise
fall back to a "multiple errors" catch-all?

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Malin: East backing northeast 5 to 7. Moderate or rough. Showers. Good.