On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:04 AM <fujiw...@jprs.co.jp> wrote:

> Dear dnsop WG,
>
> Please review draft-fujiwara-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-01.
>   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fujiwara-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-01
>
> Main differences are:
> - New Co-author
> - Refer RFC 8085 UDP Usage Guidelines
> - SHOULD send DNS responses with IP_DONTFRAG / IPV6_DONTFRAG [RFC3542]
> - Use actual path MTU information, or the default maximum DNS/UDP payload
> size
>    - Added text about how to retrieve path MTU value in appendix
>            getsockopt() IP_MTU and IPV6_MTU (Linux only)
>    - default maximum DNS/UDP payload size >= 1220, and <= 1400
> - Request to zone operator: Use smaller contents (number of RRs, DNSSEC
> key)
>
> --
> Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS <fujiw...@jprs.co.jp>

Thank you for working on this.  I would like to suggest updates to two
sections so that they read better.

----- current:

1.  Introduction

   DNS has EDNS0 [RFC6891] mechanism.  It enables that DNS server can
   send large size response using UDP.  Now EDNS0 is widely deployed,
   and DNS (over UDP) is said to be the biggest user of IP
   fragmentation.

---- rewrite:

1.  Introduction

   DNS has the EDNS0 [RFC6891] mechanism, which enables a DNS server to
   send large size response using UDP.  Now that EDNS0 is widely deployed,
   DNS (over UDP) is said to be the biggest user of IP
   fragmentation.

------ current:

5.  Incremental deployment

   The proposed method supports incremental deployment.

   When a full-service resolver implements the proposed method, the
   full-service resolver becomes to avoid IP fragmentation in DNS.

   When an authoritative server implements the proposed method, the
   authoritative server becomes to avoid IP fragmentation in DNS.

---- rewrite:

5.  Incremental deployment

   The proposed method supports incremental deployment.

   When a full-service resolver implements the proposed method, the
   full-service resolver avoids IP fragmentation in DNS.

   When an authoritative server implements the proposed method, the
   authoritative server avoids IP fragmentation in DNS.

--
Bob Harold