Ray and other DNS operations folks,

On 27/05/2020 10.30, Ray Bellis wrote:

On 27/05/2020 07:33, Petr Špaček wrote:

I would much rather spent time on
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bellis-dnsext-multi-qtypes-03

That would bring benefit to broader set of clients and has advantage
that server does not send back data nobody asked for (thus wasting
resources on unnecessary work).

I'd be very happy to revive that work if there's interest.

As I have mentioned several times on microphone, I think this draft has huge potential, potentially cutting the number of queries handled by recursive resolvers almost in half - since they could ask for A and AAAA records in a single query.

I wonder what work is left other than implementation?

Possibly it makes sense to describe client how stub or forwarding resolvers may want to probe their full-service resolvers? I expect that normal behavior would be:

1. Send a query with the Multi-QTYPE option and see if the resolver supports it. 2. If it does to send single queries for address lookups instead of parallel AAAA/A queries. 3. Fallback to parallel AAAA/A queries as soon as they get a response that does not support Multiple-QTYPE.

Similar description for recursive-to-authoritative might be helpful, since resolvers cache information about authoritative servers. I guess we could expect resolvers to ask for DNSKEY and NS together when it makes sense, for example.

Of course, these use cases can be left as an exercise to the implementer.

--
Shane