Hi Ben,

Yes, RFC 6840 tells validators to be lax.

However, it also requires exactly the same as RFC 4035 from signers.

As I understand it, the requirement is rephrased, but entirely equivalent, and there is a MUST.

So, is your proposal only about a bit in DNSKEY record, signalling "this zone is RFC compliant"?

If so, I have no more questions, but you should maybe state this clearly ;)

Cheers,

Libor

Dne 23. 02. 21 v 16:26 Ben Schwartz napsal(a):
Libor,

That's what I thought too.  See RFC 6840 Section 5.11:

> The last paragraph of Section 2.2 of [RFC4035] includes rules
> describing which algorithms must be used to sign a zone.  Since these
> rules have been confusing, they are restated using different language
> here:
>> A signed zone MUST include a DNSKEY for each algorithm present in
>> the zone's DS RRset and expected trust anchors for the zone.  The
>> zone MUST also be signed with each algorithm (though not each key)
>> present in the DNSKEY RRset.
> This requirement applies to servers, not validators. Validators
> SHOULD accept any single valid path.

RFC 6840 tells validators to be lax, so if we want to enforce this rule then we need a signal (or we need to update RFC 6840).