Hello Paul,

On Thu, 2021-04-15 at 23:15 +0000, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Everyone (but particularly resolver developers): please review the document
> carefully, particularly the algorithm in Section 3, to see if it matches what
> you expect.

PowerDNS implementation notes:
* we combined step 5 and step 6d (and call it step 5); we fall back to 'no
minimisation' on anything that's not a NoError response (but the fallback might
be handled by the RFC8020 code, especially if that non-NoError response was
NXDOMAIN) (the default for RFC8020 is 'on signed domains only')
* we use 1-1-1-3-3-.. label steps, which is not exactly what section 2.3
describes

(you can find some more details at
https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/appendices/internals.html#qname-minimization )

Kind regards,