On 21 Apr 2021, at 14:27, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2021, at 4:17 PM, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We’d like to advance this but it needs some active support, so we need to
>> hear from folks who have found it useful, especially implementers.
>
> It is indeed useful, and should be published. However, the wording in the
> draft needs to be updated about living in the world where TCP is already
> required. RFC 7766 has been a standard for over five years, but some parts of
> draft-ietf-dnsop-tcp-requirements, notably the abstract and introduction, use
> words that indicate that support for TCP is not necessary mandated.

The nuance that jtk pointed out on Monday was that 7766 largely punts on
requirement for operators and instead focuses on requirements for implementers
with updates on the standards track:

   Whilst this document makes no specific requirements for operators of
   DNS servers to meet, it does offer some suggestions to operators to
   help ensure that support for TCP on their servers and network is
   optimal.  It should be noted that failure to support TCP (or the
   blocking of DNS over TCP at the network layer) will probably result
   in resolution failure and/or application-level timeouts.

This document seeks to provide the same strong requirements language for
operators, with updates as a BCP. That seems reasonable to me. The operational
guidance in this document certainly seems to me usefully to fill a gap.

I think I just spaced on the distinction during my Monday-morning review, but I
suppose I might not be the only one, and that might be a sign that this
document needs to make that point more forcefully.

Joe