> On 12 Jul 2021, at 11:18 am, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:
>
> The current text is sufficient to tell resolver developers, and resolver
> operators, why they should even think about underscore labels when they
> create a QNAME minimisation strategy. Elevating such a strategy to a SHOULD
> as a work-around for broken middleboxes that might (hopefully!) be fixed in
> the future seems like a very wrong direction for the WG.

If this were just a work-around for breakage, I'd be more inclined
to agree, but it is also a solid opportunity to improve performance,
because privacy-relevant changes of administrative control across
special-use labels should be very rare to non-existent.

So short-circuiting qname minimisation when a special-use label is
encountered seems like a win-win.

Measuring qname

--
        Viktor.