On Wed, 28 Jul 2021, Shumon Huque wrote:
Sibling glue was already covered in RFC 1034 (even though there was no term
for it). ...

Sure, but we've been cleaning up the ambiguities and errors in 1034 for 30 years. A straightforward reading of that paragraph also gives you the Kaminsky attack.

The simplest way to defend agaist cache poisoning is to accept only in-bailiwick glue which you can do with a string comparison. If you're going to accept sibling glue, now you have to look up the tree and see if both names have the same parent. That's not all that hard, but it's a big step up in implementation complexity from the string comparison.

How about this?

 foo.test NS abc.def.bar.test
 abc.def.bar.test A 10.11.12.13

but there's a zone cut at def.bar.test. Is a nephew* still a sibling? What if that zone cut is in the PSL? I have no idea and I don't think I want to find out.

"MUST" in RFC-ese means you have to do something in order to interoperate. I think we all agree that the DNS will operate fine without sibling glue, other than NS loops which I personally don't care about. That makes it at most a MAY, and I agree with Geoff's reasons to take it out completely.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY

* - I don't know of an English word that means niece-or-nephew