Hi Paul (W),

On Sep 9, 2021, at 12:05, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2021, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> Did you first ask the administrators of the zone in question before sending
>> this message to a grooup that has no administrative power over the zone?
>
> No, I used this group as the umbrella contact, as I assumed the
> knowledgeable people are here.

The IETF (well, the IAB) has administrative control over the contents of the
ARPA zone. I do not know in practice whether this extends to the machinery of
how the zone is provisioned.

The operation of the zone is carried out by PTI, I think. It is distributed to
its authoritative servers (which are also root servers) in a process that is
similar in some respects to the way the root zone is managed.

I would drop a note to Kim Davies and ask his advice if you want to make some
kind of progress. While it seems perfectly plausible to make this kind of
change by way of a published RFC with IAB review, it's not at all clear to me
that such a heavyweight approach is necessary.

Joe