On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 12:32:19PM +0100, Petr Špaček wrote:

> Also, when we are theorizing, we can also consider that resalting
> thwarts simple correlation: After a resalt attacker cannot tell if a set
> of names has changed or not. With a constant salt attacker can detect
> new and removed names by their hash. (I'm not sure it is useful
> information without cracking the hashes.)

Actually, no.  If one has previously been mostly successful at cracking
extant names in a zone, rehashing of a small set (much smaller than the
full dictionary one use) of known names is rather quick.  So old names
can be quickly identified even after a salt change.  Leaving just the
hashes of new names.

Mind you, for cracking the new names, one would still rehash the entire
dictionary when the salt changes, the number of new names to check is
not a scaling factor in the cost.  Just a table join.

So periodic resalting does raise the cost of ongoing tracking of a
zone's content, if that's the sort of thing one cares enough about.
Rarely worth it, but mostly harmless if the salt is not too long and
rotated say on each ZSK rollover.

--
    Viktor.