On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 02:55:35PM +0000, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Another way to look at this is not from all signed delegations
> anywhere, but for web sites that are most popular. Using the Tranco
> list, choosing from the top 100,000 names, 6,389 are signed; of those,
> 349 sign with algorithm 5 or 7. Thus, for the popular sites, the
> percentage is closer to 5%, not 1%.

While I'm not impressed by the significance of the last ~900k of the
Tranco list, indeed there is some concentration of deprecated DNSSEC
algorithms closer to the top of the list, among the top 10k we see
the domains below my sig.

How realistic is it to prod these to migrate?  The DHS folks had
recently put out an RFP for managed DNS service, not only for the .GOV
registry, but also for operation of the delegated domains, and
presumably at some point many of the .GOV slowpokes might move to a
managed service with more modern keys, ...  This will likely take
a couple of years (if not delayed or cancelled).

As for the rest, not clear what would cause them to switch, and how hard
we should try.  There hasn't been much downward momentum in algorithm 5
and 7 use after the initial 93% decline at major hosting providers.

[ Even transip.nl, who've migrated all their customers, haven't yet
migrated their own domain.  Cobbler's children and all that... ]

--
    Viktor.

paypal.com 77
comcast.net 145