On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 9:15 AM Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2022, at 8:50 AM, Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> wrote:
> > I think that is helpful to communicate expectations,
>
> Is the suggestion that the non-DNS protocol follow the DNS wire format
> and/or presentation format now an expectation? This seems like a long jump.
>
> The purpose of .alt is to let anyone do what they want with non-DNS
> protocols. Expecting them to use the DNS wire format and/or presentation
> format limits the value of .alt and will cause developers who don't use
> them to continue to want to squat on TLDs. This doesn't help the DNS
> community.

I disagree.

I see the situation like this:

   - For anyone developing non-DNS protocols, which do not have
   DNS-compatible wire format (or presentation format), no advice or
   registration is necessary at all. Go nuts.
   - For anyone developing non-DNS protocols *where they have already
   chosen to use DNS-compatible wire format* (and/or presentation format),
   please use this "alt" registry and use YOURLABELHERE.alt as a suffix.

There is no expectation that they will use DNS format. However, if they
have self-selected to do so, the document is designed for them to be able
to easily understand and do the right thing.

> > and also help minimize people accidentally hurting themselves on sharp
> corners.
>
> If someone is reading this document before they develop their non-DNS
> protocol, we would be much better off telling them to use the DNS. THey are
> already in sharp corner land.

The issue isn't them hurting themselves on sharp corners; it is them
building apartment blocks with entrance halls that lead to rotating knives
and us accidentally stumbling into those.
(https://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/monty+python/the+architect_21031433.html)

:-)

Brian