On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 12:44 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org>
wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2022, at 9:34 AM, tom petch <daedu...@btconnect.com> wrote:
>
> Going into the IANA registry by name, as I usually do, I think that from
> Section 6 DNSSEC Algorithm numbers
> DNSSEC NSEC3 parameters
> are groups and not registries whereas
> DNSSEC DS RRtype
> I have yet to find (but have not yet used the URL)
>
> Thanks for the comment. I don't know if there is a strict rule about what
> is an IANA "registry" verus a "group".

Yah. Things like this are deep IANA arcana, and I just nod happily and
agree when IANA tells me that I should be requesting X instead of Y (where
Y appears to be almost *exactly* the same thing as X, but subtly different
in some way important to the IANA).

This is a similar tactic to the one that I use with my cardiologist — he
explains in excruciating detail why he wants to change my meds from
$some_long_unpronouncable_name to $some_other_ long_unpronouncable_name,
because something something results something.

In both instances I smile and nod along (because it would be impolite not
to), but I just do what they tell me to, because they a: understand the
goal, b: are competent, and c: knows way more about this stuff than I ever
will (or want to)[0]. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[0]: The biggest difference is that there *is* advice that I ignore from my
cardiologist, but that's because he seems to be afflicted with some weird
mania around my getting exercise and also not having bacon for breakfast,
lunch and dinner..  It's actually a little odd, my primary care doctor
seems to be afflicted with this same fixation - I wonder if it is some sort
of medical religion thing?!

I do note that all three that are listed are top-level URLs, so I would