Eliot,

On Oct 23, 2022, at 2:15 AM, Eliot Lear <l...@lear.ch<mailto:l...@lear.ch>>
wrote:

On 23.10.22 05:40, John Levine wrote:
It appears that Eliot Lear  <l...@lear.ch<mailto:l...@lear.ch>> said:
As a matter of practicality, a registry surely will be form.  It is
simply a matter of whether the IANA will host it.  If the IANA does not
host it, then by shifting it elsewhere this group is actually weakening
the IANA function, and that would be sad.
But trying to turn IANA and .alt into a junior version of ICANN would
be much worse than sad.

Nobody is trying to do that.

I believe the point is that it would happen if the IETF ran such a registry,
regardless of intent: if the IETF is deciding who gets to use names that look
like domain names, it's at high risk of walking directly into the conditions
that led to the creation of ICANN in the first place. The exception is names
under .arpa, which is explicitly under the administration of the IETF.
Personally, I agree with the comment that several people have now made, that
such an attempt is likely to be fraught with legal and reputation risk. But for
the WG's purposes those comments are somewhat speculative.
We've been told repeatedly that no one wants to engage legal analysis or
liaison communications on a document that doesn't have WG consensus. Any member
of the IAB might be able to correct or add to this assessment, but it's
currently the chairs' understanding that we or the responsible AD should
request any liaison communications and presumably legal review after the WG
process concludes. (I understand frustration with this, but I also understand
the reasoning: if a draft doesn't have at least WG consensus, that
administrative machinery is not necessary.)

The chairs would like to hear it if anyone has anything new to say about such a
registry on its technical merits, including specific registry policy and
operational challenges with administering it if the non-technical risks could
be managed.

Thanks,
Suzanne