It appears that Paul Hoffman  <paul.hoff...@icann.org> said:
>It is completely clear that, seven years later, many resolvers don't follow
>that SHOULD NOT rule. In fact, at at least one root server,
>.onion queries appear more often than many gTLDs and ccTLDs.
>
>The question is thus, is the value of adding that special rule for every TLD
>in the RFC 6761 registry worth the benefit? Given the
>example of onion, is such a benefit even noticeable, and if so to whom?

Vendors of DNS software who want to sell maintenance plans? I agree
that for many reasons telling people to add special cases to resolvers
isn't a good use of our or their time.

I also think more than ever that the details of the way that the root
servers provide NXDOMAIN to names that aren't in the root is an issue
for RZERC, not for dnsop.  It really doesn't matter whether the name
is foo.alt, foo.belkin, or foo.snerdlebarp.

R's,
John