Hi,

regarding the question of "necessary" versus "useful". I apologize, but I must kind-of undermine the question.

Imagine that a delegation is supplemented with an SVCB record that describes how to connect securely (with TLS) to the delegated nameserver. (Dunno if this really can happen today, but it's an imaginable situation in general.)

Then the SVCB is not necessary for the DNS resolution per se, but it is necessary for the resolution to proceed securely. If the client's policy is "privacy or nothing", then they will not proceed with the resolution unless the SVCB is returned. As a consequence, the record is not necessary to some clients (but may still be useful), but necessary to others. Thus, the term necessary is relative and it can hardly be used in the definition of glue.

Thank you for considering my comment :)

Libor