On 11/30/2022 6:16 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
On 30 Nov 2022, at 00:07, Joe Abley<jab...@hopcount.ca>  wrote:

On Tuesday, November 29th, 2022 at 13:37, Peter Thomassen<pe...@desec.io>
wrote:

At the IETF a few weeks back, Johan and I felt a sudden
enlightenment when it occurred to us that the same approach
could be used to reduce scanning cost for CDS/CSYNC scans and
the like, while maintaining low update latency. In fact, the
NOTIFY spec already does allow sending NOTIFY message of other
types. So, we not use that for hinting beyond SOA?
I have wondered aloud about reusing NOTIFY for other purposes in the past too.
In fact I seem to remember a certain tall Swede referring to
draft-jabley-dnsop-dns-flush as abolutely the worst idea he had ever heard of,
a review which I continue to wear as a badge of pride.

One question occurs to me after reading your draft: you suggest in a couple of
places that it's easy for a nameserver that is authoritative for a child zone
to know the name of the parent zone. How?

For example, if a nameserver serves the zone a.b.c.d.child, how does it
determine whether the parent zone is the root, a, a.b, a.b.c or a.b.c.d? It
needs to know in order to find the SRV (or whatever) records that point to the
appropriate NOTIFY targets in the case where the parent zone operator signals
the target. Does it send multiple queries? Does it confirm the existence of a
zone cut in each case by looking for secure delegations or SOA RRs or both? It
seems important to get this right.
Remove the left most label and query for the SOA record.  If you get a SOA
record back in the answer you have the parent zone.  If you get a CNAME back
remove one more label and repeat.  If you get a NODATA response look in the
authority section for the negative cache SOA record.  If it is not present
remove one label and repeat.  nsupdate has been doing this for 2 decades now to
determine the enclosing zone for UPDATE requests.  There is absolutely no
reason why authoritative servers can’t make such queries all by themselves.
They already make queries to obtain the address of nameservers to determine
where to send NOTIFY messages.

For a signed zone, finding the parent can be done by resolving for DS with DNSSEC validation. The name server that returns DS is one of the authoritative servers for the parent and the RRSIG in the response tells the parent zone in the Signer's Name. The same name server can then be queried for SOA to find MNAME for the parent zone.

Regards,
*Shreyas Zare*
Technitium <https://technitium.com/>