On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 4:06 PM tjw ietf <tjw.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> John
>
> Paul is right. As an operator one thing I always obsess on in is the data
> in my zones.  Why is it there , should it be, etc. Another example you may
> understand is “who created this incorrect DMARC record?”
>
> I’ve given them much much feedback. I am eager for others to sound off.
>
> And Brian, I appreciate your comments but i do wish you read the drafts as
> well.

Sorry, busy day with DNS-OARC, and $day-job .

Have read the draft, and my comments are no different.

BTW, there is a related (dove-tailed) thing, which is a de-facto
"standard": Domain Connect (DC).
DC is something that was developed at my employer, but maintained by a
wider community.

DC provides an interoperable mechanism for providers of services which need
DNS entries, to supply the domain owner (registrant) specific parameters
and a reference to a template to a DNS operator. The domain owner
authorizes the update to their DNS (via authenticating to DNS provider),
and the DNS provider processes the resulting record set and adds it to the
zone.

DC templates generally are of the key/value pair structure, with the
"value" typically being specific to the customer, such as a validation
string.

So, not only do I agree with the proposed draft, I specifically note that
having this BCP will work with DC, and that the two things both make it a
lot easier for actual end users (who no longer need to copy and paste at
all).

BTW, one of the tasks I currently have at $day-job is to pick up the
expired draft for domain connect, find the correct home for it (possibly
here), and get it to a usable state that can be published (one way or
another... informational, experimental, or standards track; independent
stream or WG.)

As I said, it is in use with a fair number of DNS providers and a larger
number of providers of services (such as email, web hosting, etc.) More
info for those interested (including the expired draft specification) are
at domainconnect.org.

Brian