On 6/8/23, 11:23 PM, "DNSOP on behalf of Bob Bownes -Seiri"
<dnsop-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of bow...@seiri.com> wrote:

>I would posit that the potential to view the word as offensive has increased
>as language usage has changed in the intervening years since it was first used
>in this context.

Researching a now-abandoned draft on the origin of domain names, I struggled to
find dictionary definition of 'resolve' that matched what we now call DNS
resolution.  In the early IEN and RFC (Internet Engineering Notes and Request
for Comments), the first uses of 'resolve' were in the context of a group of
people deciding on a path forward.  As in "the committee resolved to
investigate..."

It wasn't until I asked the authors of one of the old RFCs (I now forget which
one) where the term 'resolve' began to mean mapping a name to a network
address.  The answer was 'from the field of compiler design.'  As in resolving
a variable name to a memory location.  In hindsight, this was obvious but
trying to go from dictionary definitions and common use then and now, I didn't
see the link.

As far as 'lame' - besides the term sliding from being an objective assessment
to a derogatory term as time goes by, it's meaning in the DNS context is not
clear.   The use I am familiar with covers a server's response to a query for a
name for which the server has absolutely no information, as opposed to looking
at a delegation set which has 'issues.'  Both of those deserve terms and
different ones as they are different situations.

I'm not sure the case of a server receiving a query for which it has no
information is very important anymore.  Servers now will return either SERVFAIL
or REFUSED for it and the operationally impacting situation I was working has
been mitigated by this.  However, I have seen a situation when earnest traffic
(not DDoS flood) has been sent to a server that was not (yet) configured for a
zone.  But this happened once and was taken care of locally once the sender of
the traffic realized what they were doing (or hadn't done). Perhaps the use of
'lame' for this can be left in the dustbin, like so many other objects we no
longer use in life.  Perhaps the queries are just 'out of bailiwick' queries
relative to the server.

As far as assessing the health of a parent to child delegation, I'll leave
terminology about that to those who work that area.  Broken, damaged, etc., but
I bet that just about any descriptive term today may drift into other meanings
as languages evolve.