Hi Roy,

Please see some responses below, prefixed with YS.

Thanks,
        Yaron

On 05/07/2023, 14:31, "Roy Arends" <r...@dnss.ec <mailto:r...@dnss.ec>> wrote:

Yaron, many thanks for your review. Comments inline:

> On 26 Jun 2023, at 13:24, Yaron Sheffer via Datatracker <nore...@ietf.org
> <mailto:nore...@ietf.org>> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Yaron Sheffer
> Review result: Has Nits
>
> I am not a DNS expert so these may or may not be real issues. But I would
> appreciate the authors' clarifications.
>
> - The error reports are unauthenticated. Some possible implications include:
> (1) Operators may choose to implement automated responses to error reports,
> and
> will not consider that the source of the reports is untrusted.
> (2) An adversary
> may create massive error report flooding to camouflage an attack. At minimum,
> suggest to mention these risks in the security considerations.

Will do.

> - "Authentication significantly increases the burden on the reporting resolver
> without any benefit to the monitoring agent, authoritative server or reporting
> resolver." I'm not sure I agree there's no benefit: a known, trusted set of
> reporting resolvers can provide a higher level of confidence in the error
> reports, and potentially enable more automated processing of these reports.
> CDNs may become such trusted resolvers, for example.

I will tone down the dismissive language and just use the following:

"Authentication significantly increases the burden on the reporting resolver,
however, a known, trusted set of reporting resolvers can provide a higher level
of confidence in the error reports, and potentially enable more automated
processing of these reports.”

(I’ve used your text as guidance)

YS: I'm not sure I understand the proposed text, because the draft does not
provide a way (namely, authentication) to establish a "known, trusted set of
resolvers". Unless there's a way to authenticate these reports that I'm not
familiar with.

> - In general, is there value to error reporting in the absence of (aggregated)
> reporting on success? In other words, when evaluating a stream of errors,
> isn't
> it important to measure the percentage of errors as part of the overall number
> of requests for a particular domain?

Absolutely. However, I wanted to avoid predicting how the reporting agent is
going to implement its analysis and reporting functions.

YS: understood. It just seems to me that we're not providing the agent with
enough input for this analysis. And I guess I was suggesting to add a feature:
aggregated (or random, sample based) reporting on *successful* name resolution.

> - This is yet another DNS covert channel. Should we mention it in the Security
> Considerations?

Is it though? If it is, isn’t all DNS susceptible to being a covert channel?
Isn’t any traffic, not just DNS, susceptible of being another covert channel?

YS: fair enough.

> - What is the broader effect of avoiding DNSSEC for the agent domain? Does it
> interfere with policies (and their automated enforcement) such as "sign
> everything under .tld"?

This should be dealt with in the relevant policy area.

> - More formally, there is no normative language around avoiding DNSSEC. Is it
> SHOULD?

YS: even if you deem DNSSEC policy to be out of scope, the question about
normative language still stands. Or at least guidance on when this mitigation
is recommended.

> - DNS query name minimization - shouldn't there be some guidance on this?
> Clearly minimization does not apply to the actual error portion of the report
> QNAME.

Clearly?

An agent domain can setup its servers in various ways, say, a single agent
domain “uk.error.com”, and subsequently delegate:

uk._er.uk <http://er.uk/>.error.com <http://er.uk/&gt;.error.com>
co.uk <http://co.uk/>._er.uk.error.com <http://co.uk/&gt;._er.uk.error.com>
<http://er.uk.error.com/> <http://er.uk.error.com/&gt;>
police.uk <http://police.uk/>._er.uk.error.com