Folks, we could really use feedback from people with DNS expertise to help
document a set of best practices for managing existing DNS delegations at the
TLD level when EPP domain and host objects are deleted. As described in this
draft:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hollenbeck-regext-epp-delete-bcp/

EPP includes recommendations to not blindly delete objects associated with
existing delegations because, among other reasons, doing so can lead to DNS
resolution failure. That's led some domain name registrars to implement
creative practices that expose domains to risks of both lame delegation [1]
and management hijacking. The draft includes descriptions of current known
practices and suggests that some should be avoided, some are candidates for
"best", and there are others that haven't been used that might also be
candidates for "best". The authors would like to learn if others agree with
our assessments and/or can suggest improvements.

Please help. ICANN's SSAC is also looking at this issue and expert opinions
will help us improve DNS resolution resilience. I plan to mention this quickly
at IETF-117 given that the WG agenda is already full, but on-list discussion
would be extremely valuable.

Scott

[1] As described in draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc8499bis.