On 31 Jan 2024, at 09:04, Vladimír Čunát
<vladimir.cunat=2Bietf=40nic...@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On 30/01/2024 07.55, Kazunori Fujiwara wrote:
>> It proposes new name resolution using only information on the parent side.
> Let me just point out a key distinction: the typical use case of DELEG should
> be kind-of child centric.  Most people will only use a simple alias-mode
> DELEG at the parent, pointing somewhere into their DNS hoster's namespace.
> That's practically important, because all the information can then be managed
> by that entity without touching the parent (e.g. on KSK rollovers).

I agree that configuration has advantages and I like that picture of the
future. However, that will require new metadata to be bundled with domain
registration in transactions between registrant and registrar and between
registrar and registry. There are various reasons why that might take a while,
even in the most optimistic success scenario for DELEG.

It seems important to be prepared for a long transition phase during which the
only delegation information that is passed to domain registries and published
in the DNS is that which is passed today, mainly nameserver names, some
nameserver addresses in certain cases, and DS RDATA for those sprinkling of
child zones whose delegations are secure. If registry operators use DELEG in
their TLDish zones under those circumstances it will not be alias-mode; it will
be a simple translation of the NS and DS RRSETs used in old-style delegations.

Joe