On 2/14/24, 08:38, "DNSOP on behalf of Joe Abley" <dnsop-boun...@ietf.org on
behalf of jab...@strandkip.nl> wrote:

>    Is the triggering incident not just another cautionary note that we learn
> from?

That was my original thought.   I don't mean my thought has changed, but that's
the reason I bothered to raise this.

>    Why is this particular incident a sign that we need to change the protocol
> when so many others have not been?

I mentioned this only in an early private, off-list reply and it deserves to be
said here - I'm not advocating for changing anything.  As it is, colliding key
tags is at worst a rare snag in operations.  When I say I've seen it three
times over 13 years of observations, I mean to stress that it is a rare event,
and that only once has it "hit the press", it isn't usually (2 out of 3)
operationally impacting.  I don't think anything seen so far justifies altering
past definitions.

However...for any future re-designs I'd keep this tale in mind.  If I had a
time machine, I'd go back 25-30 years and argue against the 16-bit field.
I.e., when looking at DELEG or anything DELEG may enable down the road, I'd
side away from the use of "pointers" like key tags or possibly hashes.

A side note: there is something I'm working on (which may never see the light
of day) where I considered using a hash to identify a long-lived key.  Then I
realized that if hash algorithms are changed, it would be impossible to tell if
the old hash and the new hash indicated the same key.  Not a key collision
issue, the fact that hashes are one-way mean that you can't tell, from two
different hash values, each of a different hash algorithm, if they refer to the
same (public) key - unless you have the (public) key itself.  And in my
situation, having to have the key to do this negates the benefit of passing a
(shortened) hash value around.