On Sat, 2 Mar 2024, Peter Thomassen wrote:
On 2/29/24 18:06, Paul Wouters wrote:
 (If no action is taken, malicious activity might follow now that it is described, but I have not heard of a historical case of it.)

This attack was more or less described five year ago: https://essay.utwente.nl/78777/ <https://essay.utwente.nl/78777/>

They didn’t get to the same amplification levels but if attackers had been interested, they could have picked it up as a tool to improve. scripts to run were attached to the paper.

My take is that with the current mitigations (tolerate a very small but nonzero number of keytag collisions), it's unlikely that this will be exploited in any significant way, as the attacker's gain is very limited.

I think we're in violent agreement here. The current mitigations are adequate, and nobody has offered a reason to believe that if we made things tighter, e.g., no keytag collisions at all, that it would make much practical difference.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY