In message <CAHw9_iKOygzP0Q3=n6p7sr0zkqrdvhc0s7sebp308qdysfo...@mail.gmail.com>
, Warren Kumari writes:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
> >
> > The important thing to learn here is:  Complain when you see a server
> > doing something wrong.
>
> +1.
>
> Otherwise it is entirely possible that the server operator /
> implementor simply doesn't know that they sending incorrect responses.
>
> The RFCs are sometimes, um, subtle...

I just logged fault reports with the technical contact for every
tld that has a server that responds incorrectly to EDNS(1) queries
if they handle EDNS(0) queries. BADVERS should be the result if
they the support EDNS as EDNS(1) is not yet defined.

        dig +edns=1 zone @host

I've had one contact acknowledge the report and say they have logged
a report upstream.  This doesn't mean that the others won't be acted
on.

If we had consistent whois formats I would do the same for the Alexa top 1M.
For the tld's I only had to deal with one whois output.

The next round will be for those that don't correctly handle unknown
EDNS options.  Unknown options should be ignored.

        dig +ednsopt=100 zone @host
                (requires BIND 9.11 - no reponse / a different error code /
                 echoed back indicates a error)

        dig +sit zone @host
                (requires BIND 9.10 and configure --enable-sit.
                 no response / a different error code / a short sit response
                 without the server tag which just echo back the client tag
                 indicates a bug.
                 - with server tag:
                 SIT: 26a669a68f2096beeb403f6153e56265211ffe35604a8aa1 (good)
                 - without server tag:
                 SIT: 26a669a68f2096beeb403f61 (good)
                )

        dig +expire zone @host
                (requires BIND 9.10 - no reponse / a different error code /
                 echoed back indicates a error - a valid expire response
                 will have a 32 bit counter returned
                e.g.
                ; EXPIRE: 2365198 (3 weeks 6 days 8 hours 59 minutes 58 seconds)
                vs
                ; EXPIRE
                )

        dig +nsid zone @host
                 (no response / a different error code / echoed back indicates
                  a bug)

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC