***  Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://dowire.org ***
***  Headlines from top blogs: http://dowire.org/feeds ***

Also note:
http://www.localdemocracyweek.info

To:                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From:                   "Shane McCracken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date sent:              Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:39:23 +0100
Subject:                [DO-Consult] I'm a Councillor, Get me out of Here!

I thought you may be interested in a project we are currently running
in the UK.

I'm a Councillor, Get me out of Here! is an event currently being run
for 26 Local Authorities across England and Wales.  It is aimed at
starting a dialogue between local councillors and young people.

School students and young people at youth groups are given access to
site (www.bigvote.org.uk) that allows them to ask questions of the
participating councillors and to vote for the one they want to win
the
event.  They are encouraged to use the site by teachers keen to cover
the citizenship syllabus in new and interesting ways using the
teaching materials we provide.

It is now in it's final week - voting finishes on Friday.  Access to
the site can be found at www.bigvote.org.uk.  Your readers should use
guest for both username and access code and that will allow them to
read what has been said so far on each of the 26 councils.

So far on the event we've had a great response from schools, youth
groups and councillors across the country.  Thousands of students
have
registered, we've had over 20,000 visits to the site and over 2,500
questions asked.

But the numbers don't tell the real story.  The real story is that
Councillors up and down the country are making real connections to
young people they wouldn't normally meet.  Councillor's answering
questions from Special Needs Students in Bexhill; students inviting
Councillors to visit their school in Leicester; Councillors guiding
excluded teenagers how to start a petition in Cardiff.  It is in the
detail of the questions and conversation that the real power and
benefit of I'm a Councillor... can be found.

Hope this is of interest.

Many thanks,

Shane

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Steven L. Clift    -   -  -  W: http://publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -  -   E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -   - T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -       MSN/Y!/AIM: netclift

Join my Democracies Online Newswire: http://dowire.org
EDem's Election 2004 Links: http://e-democracy.org/us