***  Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://dowire.org ***
***  Headlines from top blogs: http://dowire.org/feeds ***

If messages on DoWire have seemed light, it is directly related to a
number of exciting initiatives coming down the pipe.

The first is tremendously exciting.  The UK Local E-democracy
National Project is funding a couple Local Issues Forums organized in
partnership with E-Democracy.Org.  If you are in the UK or know folks
in the UK, please help us out by forwarding this message or blogging
this link:
http://www.e-democracy.org/uk

As far as we can tell, our low-cost, citizen-based model seems to
work very well once fully implemented.  It is actually sustainable.
However, forum success is contingent on finding a local Forum Manager
and a few citizens to help recruit a critical mass of citizen
participants, including local public officials and journalists.
Without a true local base of participants and facilitation, all you
have is a digital ghost town.

As part of the pilot, E-Democracy.Org will be developing a
comprehensive Forum Development Guide and training. The "E-Democracy
Experience" will bring a few stories from our forums to life - to
replicate as best we can the experience many visitors to Minnesota
have had when we tour them around to various forum participants (like
the Mayor of Minneapolis) and volunteers.

We are also investing in helping some new open source technology
emerge that combine e-mail and web forums in an optimal and equitable
manner. You cannot allow the broadband divide to determine who has a
voice in local online forums. More on this exciting discovery from
New Zealand later!

Again, pass this on far and wide in the UK.  And if you'd like to
start a local E-Democracy.Org forum in your community, read this and
let us know:
http://e-democracy.org/center/if.html

Celebrate With Us,

Steven Clift
Chair, http://E-Democracy.Org
http://dowire.org

Subject: Local Issues Forums in the UK - Search for Pilot
Communities as part of UK Local E-democracy National Project

Big news.

E-Democracy.Org is looking for citizens and Local Authorities in the
UK interested in starting an online local public Issues Forum for
their community.

This new pilot project is part of the UK Local E-democracy National
Project.

Our citizen-based model creates a facilitated online public space in
the heart of real civic life. The pilots will leverage E-
Democracy.Org's decade of experience in strategic and sustainable
online forum development.

We will provide training, assistance, and the essential forum
facilitation framework through a local Forum Manager and citizen
steering committee. The new open source GroupServer technology will
help us bring together a critical mass of local citizens by combining
the best features of e-mail lists with user-friendly web forums

We need your help to quickly identify possible pilot communities.
The
following factors are important:

1. Citizens - We need at least three or four citizens to form a
local steering committee.  This steering committee will tailor the
forum charter to the community, recruit participants, and provide
forum oversight.  Citizens is an inclusive term, all citizens as
individuals regardless of position or profession.

2. Forum Manager - At least one of those citizens needs
facilitation skills and an interest in serving as the lead
community convener online. This role is vital and extremely
rewarding.

3. Supportive Local Authority - Communities that establish a
partnership and linking relationship with their Local Authority
will take precedence.  Additional local non-partisan community
partners, including the media or civic organizations, are welcome.
Interested Local Authorities are encouraged to help organize initial
pilot development as long as a citizen steering committee is formed
provide forum oversight.

Support Available

Our Issues Forum model is extremely low cost and volunteer- based.
New
materials from E-Democracy.Org including a Forum Development Guide,
multimedia case study, training program, and forum hosting are being
developed.  This will make starting up a forum even easier. Also,
with
these two or three UK pilots, funding is available to launch each
forum - 1000 GBP.  Initial recruitment online, but more importantly
in-person outreach, will be assisted by these funds. Remember our
volunteer model works because it is "of" the citizens, so this launch
fund will go a long way toward promotional costs.

Interested?

We need to finalize our two or three pilot communities by November
10.
Pilot forums, with extensive participant recruiting completed, must
launch no later than the first week of January. The official pilot
phase ends on March 1, 2005.  Yes, this is a tight time- line.  If
you
can find a Forum Manager, two or three other steering committee
members, and a Local Authority interested in linking in as a partner,
we can make it happen fast.

Send an e-mail to Steven Clift <http://publicus.net>:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please include details on your local community.

More Information

Follow this page for project updates:
    http://e-democracy.org/uk

Read this short Start an Issues Forum article for more advice:
    http://e-democracy.org/center/if.html

Get Involved

Also, an online group for those interested in supporting the
development of Issues Forums will be opened.  This will be a
place for those in the UK and beyond to exchange announcements,
notes, and experiences.  Send your full contact information, a
personal statement of interest, and indicate what you can do to
help with this pilot project or other efforts in the future.

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sincerely,
Steven Clift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lead, Issues Forum Project
Board Chair, http://E-Democracy.Org
Steven L. Clift    -   -  -  W: http://publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -  -   E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -   - T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -       MSN/Y!/AIM: netclift

Join my Democracies Online Newswire: http://dowire.org
EDem's Election 2004 Links: http://e-democracy.org/us