***  Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://dowire.org ***
***  Headlines from top blogs: http://dowire.org/feeds ***

The key bit from:
http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.php?channel=24&id=92827

Government Moves Into the Open
Jan 24, 2005  By Tod Newcombe

Peter Quinn, CIO, Massachusetts, made the same point, emphasizing
that his state's lead in understanding and adopting open source was
not in reaction to the dominance of one or two proprietary vendors.
Rather, it was an effort to face certain key facts in the world of IT
and government. First, "the cost of government is not sustainable in
its present form," he said. Second, software has increasingly become
a commodity. Open source is accelerating that trend.

As a result, government no longer should be trapped into procuring
expensive, customized solutions, he argued. While open source is
attractive because of its lower upfront costs, the real value lies in
the collaborative principles on which it has been developed. The more
agencies and governments share open source applications, the less
likely the public sector will end up having to pay for so many
different solutions, wasting taxpayer money.

Some have branded the notion of developing and then sharing software
for free as some form of communism. But Quinn argued that if one
state developed a better electronic licensing system or voter
registration system using open source and then shared it with other
states, it was an exercise in democracy through the exchange of
information in an open society underpinned by reliable technology.

As radical as that sounds, Quinn said the Government Open Source
Collaborative <http://www.gocc.gov> he founded isn't out to challenge
the commercial software industry but to take advantage of government
innovation so that "we as technologists [can] finally break the back
of the ineffectiveness, the inefficiency and the stupidity of the
silos of information in government."

I've become increasingly convinced that open source is the way to go
with e-democracy in government and in the non-profit world.  A number
of the UK Local E-democracy National Project pilots are experimenting
with open source and my sense is that they will open up a number of
exciting opportunities.

Within e-government itself, I believe that democracy-related
services, from constituent communication systems to blogs for elected
officials, are an ideal starting point for the creation of
sustainable open source models.  The key barrier to overcome is the
cost to share and document. One government cannot justify subsidizing
value for another peer government unless the resources come from the
national level or unless a number of governments contribute and
accept the notion that free riders are OK, in fact cherished because
they build developer momentum for their code base.

I still accept the fact that governments can get great value out of
proprietary solutions, particularly those that fit niche needs.
However, within the e-democracy space where needs are often quite
similar across governments, I see great opportunities for open source
solutions.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online
http://dowire.org
http://
Steven L. Clift    -   -  -  W: http://publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -  -   E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -   - T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -       MSN/Y!/AIM: netclift

UK Office Hours - 1pm - 11pm  -   -  T:  0870.340.1266
Join my Democracies Online Newswire: http://dowire.org